1. Pay $3/night for a hotel with a Western toilet, shower, and fan, but without a trash can or electrical outlet.
2. Go to a wayang orang show. Get adopted by a very chatty old woman, and a man who she claimed was her husband but looked more like her son. Go backstage to see the performers in various stages of dress/undress. Practice a meagre amount of Javanese. ("Yes." "No." "Please." "Thank you.")
3. Walk everywhere, just to kill time.
4. Spend an afternoon exploring the environs of the city with a total stranger. (He offered me a motorcycle tour of erotic Hindu temples. How could I say no to that?)
5. Go to a movie, all in Indonesian, and understand most of it.
6. See missionaries on a public bus, and randomly hop on to say "Hi, Elders!" and ride with them wherever they're going. (I think they were far more confused than I was.)
7. Eat pineapple pancakes.
8. Visit old Javanese palaces. Marvel at items in the Sultan's collection, such as traditional Javanese gold dance accessories, ancient medicines, Belgian crystal, French statues, and Italian swords. (Apparently, the Sultan had connections.)
9. Get sick. Long for death. (I guess that's really two things. Or maybe one and a half.)
10. Read Tom Jones.
11. Think of blog entries like this one.